Tuesday 16 February 2010

Playing around

One of my targets for this year is to improve my photography and to get my camera off manual! This is easier said than done as I start to glaze over when I read the camera instruction booklet and let's face it, the minutes of sunlight per day at the moment don't make for good photos most of the time.


But I have been looking around - on Flickr mainly - and have been inspired by some incredibly beautiful photographs which show me that I have a million miles to go! But two things in particular caught my eye - one was a particular composition and one was playing around with depth of field which gives you the most wonderful bokeh when it's done correctly.

And as luck would have it, the sun was glorious today and I had time at home to play. First of all, I tried copying the composition I'd seen - too many originals to reference here but this is my take on it.


Isn't it just adorable for Valentine's Day. I fell in love with it when I saw a couple of them in Flickr and now I am just smitten!

Then I fished out our macro lens that I adore using but never seem to have it with me when I need it! I love the fact that I can get so close to things and choose if I want the whole thing to be in focus or just a sliver. That things in the foreground or background can be the main focus of the photo. And of course, it produces gorgeous bokeh.

Taking photos takes a lot of set up and usually I am too lazy or in a hurry to do this. But I gave myself a bit of time and moved things around, opening windows and testing the light until I felt things were how they should be. Then I snapped some close ups of my Valentine flowers. I always take pictures of the stunning flowers I receive from R but am always disappointed with the results. But today was different, today I used the macro!










And just to finish off, I tried some really close shots of the leftover snow on our balcony. I like the glittery quality to this one - the way that the crystals were glinting in the sunlight and sparkling like diamonds.


And this single drop of water, left behind as the snow was melting. Now, the camera was still on automatic - not brave enough with that yet - but it's good to see what the depth of field effects can be. Next step, read what to do to do it myself!


Just to finish off, here are my two layouts from the last couple of days. Bit dissatisfied with today's but I was using a LOAD prompt and wanted to try something a bit different. And I still have loads of these zoo photos that need to be used! Better done than not!

February 15th


February 16th

3 comments:

  1. Wow your photos are amazing.You've got a good eye.If I could take photos half as good as that I'd be happy.How you captured that tiny drop of water is fab I look forward to seeing that on a LO.How do you blur the background like you've done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:29 pm

    stunning photos, that lens has been on my wishlist a while. gorgeous LOs too! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous photos. I love bokeh, I have been trying some of this myself, lately. And you're doing so well on your LOAD

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...