Welcome to August and to another new kit to be inspired by courtesy of the Counterfeit Kit Challenge!
Nice to see you here. Hopefully you've been hopping along and have just visited Susanne at Snaps and Snippets where she has no doubt delighted you with her clever kit creation. If not, you might want to start at the beginning of the hop over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog. A highlight today is that Sherri is back as Guest Designer! We are thrilled to have her join us this month so make sure you say hi to her over at her blog here.
This month's inspiration comes from the ever-popular Studio Calico. Penny Arcade (check it out here) is full of fun colours and themes, and as always the case with SC, there are so many kits, add-ons and extras to choose from. I was particularly drawn to the Penny Arcade card kit (here)
It's quite some time since I last made a card kit and I decided it would be fun to get out my mini-pads and see what I could come up with.
First of all, let me present my (much) larger-than-the-original card kit, Connect!
Let me explain how I matched my kit to the original before it exploded into something much, much bigger!
The original kit has four cardstocks: kraft, cream, white and grey so I started there. Then I looked at the designs and colour tones of the 6x6 papers and matched them up this way:
- Map paper - 1x Studio Calico black and white and 1x BasicGrey pink toned map
- Black on white brush-script - BasicGrey black and white chevron
- Olive green with white spots - BasicGrey 1x green with small white/black dots & Dear Lizzy 1x lemon with white dots
- Orange with large letters - no direct match but I selected an 8x8 inch October Afternoon paper with arrows and words
- Pink painted effect - BasicGrey pink distressed design
- Yellow striped - StudioCalico white and yellow paper dolls
- Cloud - 1x BasicGrey sunburst and clouds & 1x BasicGrey sky/clouds
- Brown with white scallop stripes - Dear Lizzy woodgrain and white chevron
- White and grey feather - 1x Dear Lizzy grey with white spot and 1x Dear Lizzy mint green with white grid lines and spots
I also added in a Dear Lizzy stripe because it went with the other papers.
Then I matched up the embellishments from the original kit:
- Twine - pink and white striped MME twine
- Word and icon stamps - Large number stamps and a travel set which matches some of the papers
- Banner die - BasicGrey banner/flag embellishments
- Mixed buttons - buttons in yellow, pink, blue, green and white
- Black and white ribbon - black chiffon ribbon with white polka dots
- Bright coloured doily - pink patterned doiley
- Star veneer shapes - mix of Studio Calico star veneers
Then I looked at the original papers and decided that I would add another selection to match the travel and summer theme of the kit.
And some more embellishments which I thought I'd need to create a batch of cards.
- Black ribbon and white lace
- Yellow and white striped twine
- More pink and blue toned doilies
- Several mini-alphas
- BasicGrey flair buttons
- Star sequins in blue, white and silver
- Pastel toned enamels
- Summer themed stamps
- More BasicGrey banners/flags
If you put this all together, you get this monster kit!
I have combined 6x6 papers from Dear Lizzy Neapolitan; BasicGrey What's Up, pb&j, Wander, Konnichiwa & Mellow; Studio Calico Abroad; and October Afternoon Travel Girl (8x8 mini pad), not to mention all those mixed embellishments! I think that there's enough in here to make many, many cards and even a layout or two depending on how the mood takes me (if I add in more cardstock!).
As always, I reserve the right to add extras in to the kit as I go along and items such as inks, mists and cardstock are "free items".
Here are a few close ups of all those goodies:
I'm looking forward to diving in to this kit and seeing what comes out of it!
Which of the many Penny Arcade kits will catch your eye today? Leave me a comment to share and let me know you were here!
I'm at the end of the hop today but here's the full list in case you've got lost along the way!
Guest Designer: Sherri: http://sherrithompson.blogspot.com
Angela Toucan Scraps and News