Monday 1 February 2016

Counterfeit Kit Challenge February kit reveal blog hop

The 1st of the month can only mean one thing - the Counterfeit Kit Challenge kit reveal blog hop.

Hopefully, you've reached me by way of Leslie with her amazing Blue Box of goodies but if not, don't miss out on the fun. Head back to the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog to start at the beginning!

This month we were given a fabulous kit to counterfeit by a relatively new UK-based kit club, Mind the Scrap, run by speed-scrapper extraordinaire, Emma! She's been a counterfeiter for some time now and we were thrilled to be allowed to use her current kit for inspiration! Here's the collection of supplies you can find in the Mind the Scrap February kit. And it's great that we've been given the chance to make our own take on this as it's already sold out! I'm not surprised - it's gorgeous!

Mind the Scrap can be found here

Now, once again, I didn't have any of the original products in the kit, so I decided to get creative with my interpretation and it ended up like this!


I know, I know - sometimes I wonder how on earth my kits come out as they do because on first glance, there's not much to match the original. But let me explain my thought process.

Don't forget that I've set myself some "rules" for making my kits - at least for the first few months of the year. You can see the list at the end of my reveal post for the January kit. So I printed that off and then did what several of the girls on the team do and write down some notes about the papers, the colours, the patterns and anything else that springs to mind when I see the individual items in the original kit. This included: triangles, ombré, hearts, loopy words, arrows, rub-ons, brush scrip alpha, pink, green, creamy and Crate Paper.

First off, I picked out the papers, matching some of the colours I saw, the wordy element and the triangle geometrics. I added in some old BasicGrey (sob, sob) from one of my favourite collections, Sultry, because I thought the colours were not dissimilar to the original. Limiting myself to five papers plus one just because (something I have to admit to lifting from the delightful Susan), I came up with this:


There's a geometric from MME's On Trend 2, two sheets from Maggie Holmes Syleboard, two sheets from BasicGrey's Sultry and a gold foiled vellum from Dear Lizzy.



I love how the stars are both full and outline!

Then I continued with my guidelines and filled my kit with embellishments. I have included several pieces of older chipboard and die cuts and a handful of pocket page cards in colours to go with the main papers and featuring Crate Paper, arrows, hearts and words.


A little bag of mixed sequins and bits that usually sits in my table top tote - to remind me to mix it up and use them.


Heart punches to fulfil my tool guideline and also match the hearts featured in the original.


More older die-cuts in colours which seemed to match and some alphas including the white version of the original black brush stroke font. There are also a handful of really old rub-ons. To be honest, I really find them hard to use but lets's see. They might be a use them or lose them product this month.



I know that the original kit has those stunning dimensional arrows and the über-cute fringed hearts  - which are just represented by arrows and hearts in my kit - and you never know, I might give them a go for some forgeries. Right now, I'm happy with my alternatives but they DO look perfect for forging, don't they?!?

So there you have it. A small - for me - kit and still following my self-imposed rules! Totally different from the gorgeous original inspiration kit by Mind the Scrap but very much my kind of selection of product. And that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Thanks for dropping by today. The ever wonderful Lynnette is next up and we all missed her incredible staging last month, so I'm happy she's back :-)

14 comments:

  1. Soft, romantic, and lovely! I love the addition of the BG, and I look forward to seeing what you make with LOAD and your kits this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have called it Wistful, but the Sultry definitely shows through. Great interpretation of the original - such a cohesive kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your take on the original - your papers remind me of the lovely crocuses that bloom in my yard in the spring: pretty and soft with the promise of spring. The little pile of sequins is just divine and I'm happy to see you adopting the "just because" paper concept - it adds a fun little twist for me when I'm putting together my kits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty kit and I can see where you are coming from with the kit :) I love the additions you brought in too :) and all those punches :) Awful small kit for a LOAD month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, so much to look at! I love that triangle paper - it's swoonsome - and that little pile of sequins looks good enough to dive into!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful!!! Love your journaling cards and the other little pieces you added. The colors are gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lisa, I'm loving my introduction ;)
    Your kit is gorgeous, Im loving all the elements and the paper choices and can't wait to see where it takes you this month xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each month I always imagine using your gorgeous full kit photo as my desktop background. Then I enjoy poking around in your detail photos for old product! You are the master of making the old look new again! Don't fear the rub-ons - they will make such a subtle layer & if they don't cooperate, just call them your distress element. I, too, am feeling "wistful" after the BG announcement... :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at vellum and gold stars! Your kits always have such a dreamy, soothing quality. Rich and soft and chock full of pretty! I know this will serve you well during LOAD this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of your checklist. Will have to adopt that with the addition of "Messy product" or else I will never use stamps or inky stuff. This kit is sweet and petite. LOAD has an extra day this month! And WM special week coming up. This will be a highly productive month, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. A muted version of the original with some beautiful papers in there.The vellum is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty kit, love the vellum addition. So looking forward to your projects.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some great copies and substitutions here - a lovely kit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty kit! I never think to put punches with my kit. I'm definitely going to use this idea in the future!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...