Wednesday 27 July 2011

Oh Hole-y Night

Not sure if the Jingle Belles puns are getting better or worse as the year goes on!!

Anyway, this week's challenge is "O Hole-y Night" and so we should make an aperture or window card.

Mmmm. Easier said than done for me. The whole technique seemed a bit elusive and my first attempt wasn't really right. I had cut out a window but you couldn't really call it an aperture as it's completely covered up at the back. But anyway, I struggled on and finished it!

I broke into my Figgy Pudding Collection for the first time (oh the shame!) and ended up with something a bit darker than usual but the patterns are pretty. A bit of ribbon, a bauble and a few stars and this one was done - if not what I had envisioned.



The second one turned out a bit better although not exactly what I had had in my head. These creative designs are much more difficult to get right than you imagine. The card-makers over at Jingle Belles certainly have a lot more experience and skill than me, and really know what they are doing when the challenge is a bit more advanced! 

Anyway, I cut a window and made a mat for the inside using this cut out. I backed my window with some acetate which miraculously and coincidentally, centred in the window perfectly! I liked the bauble elements in the Figgy Pudding set and decided to hang a few off the edge of the card. Done. Phew.



There seems to be a pattern developing here. The first card I make is some sort of warm up that gets the ideas going before it clicks and I realise how I should really be doing it. Then comes the second card which is closer to the idea in my head and usually better than the first. I guess making two cards can only be a good thing, right?


Like I said, those girls over at Jingle Belles are one bunch of talented card-makers and I'm learning a lot from them. They make it look so easy (and it's so not!)! I'm in awe of some of the cards they create - so inspirational!

Why not pop over and get inspired for Christmas - let's face it, with the weather we are having here at the moment (north western Europe) we might as well forget summer and head straight for the festivities!

18 comments:

  1. Lisa these are brilliant!! I love the stamped acetate and the fab papers you've used ... thanks so much for joining me

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job Lisa. I love the colors on both cards, I dont think its too dark at all, but then again I love the darker, richer colors! Awesome job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent...you do such amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I think BG always makes amazing Christmas collections…I love all your details…the stars, the letters, everything. Gorgeous work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cards!! You make it look easy, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, can i just say that i soooooooo relate to your "process" of making a card, figuring out while doing it what to do/not do... and then making a second card that shows the "learning curve". i only EVER learn by actually DOING something and while i find it frustrating at times, it's also rewarding. to *WATCH* someone else work that way and make these huge leaps of technique and skill... it's just ♥AWESOME♥ in the truest sense! wow! one of the many things i love about coming here, your cardmaking skill is totally catching up with your design/aesthetic sense which was already off the charts!

    BOTH of these are amazing, missus! i really love the design, the papers, the way you approached the engineering of the windows, etc! utter eye candy, as usual! ♥♥♥

    ps: i'm jealous of your weather; we're in the 80's & 90's here in new jersey (C=30+) with high humidity. UGH! i am ready for winter, or at least autumn! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two holiday cards ... to me that's always success ... I love the effect of the acetate with your opening ... and the fun little bobbles on the edge of the card are awesome too ... so glad you joined our jingle belles fun (and yes, you can always count on us to be punny ... most of the time we do it to amuse ourselves).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful project, love the great mixed of DP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like both cards. I love this paper too and I have enough hoarded Christmas paper from many manufacturers to paper my house. And I still buy new every year.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really liking both of the cards, and I love how you've dressed them in your photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are beautiful! I love the patterned paper and the acetate window is so unique. Great job and now you are two cards closer to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many different ways to do Christmas cards and I love your take on each an every one of them. They just keep getting better and better as the year rolls on. Love the addition of lights around the cards. Nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. More Gorgeous Christmas cards Lisa!! I'm afraid though the wonderful sunny, warm weather we are having here is NOT enough to inspire me to create Christmas cards :) Although, when I was in Michaels this week they have lots of Christmas supplies!! I should be thinking of my Journal Your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:24 am

    Lisa, These are so pretty! I don't think you messed them up at all! Your work is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards! I have never had much patience for scrapbooking, so I really admire people who do!

    I almost pulled out my Christmas CDs after reading your post! I live in Germany too and am really mixed up--is this summer? Is it fall? But I much prefer it to the heat in the south and midwest of the US! Was talking to my family this week, and for once THEY are the ones who are jealous of my cold and rainy Hamburg!

    --Sadee
    www.aPicturebookLife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. P.S. I found you through Junelle's blog--she is one of my favorite blog friends and sometimes I click on the blogs of a few people (like you) who leave sweet comments on her blog! Thanks for stopping by my place today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both of these cards,the hanging ornaments look fab. You're selling yourself short,your cards are always gorgeous.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm glad you liked my number tease! You are certainly busy with your Christmas cards. They are loevly designs and I feel quite behind!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...