Monday 6 December 2010

St Nicholaus Day Monday musings...

Happy St Nicholaus!

Whilst most of Germany was waking up to boots or boxes full of chocolate and gifts outside their front door this morning, I woke up to the alarm screaming at me to get up and get going at some unearthly time of the morning! When I don't have my 8am Monday class for a few weeks, it's always a bit of a shock to the system when it kicks back in again. And this morning was exactly one of those mornings! Going down the communal stairs, I noticed that one of our neighbours had left out St Nick presents for four other neighbours and it made me a little sad that I wasn't one of them! I bought myself a small chocolate St Nick for myself but not being a huge fan of German chocolate, it's not exactly the best present I ever bought myself! So as a treat for myself, as soon as I get home tonight, I am going to do some scrapping. Sounds like an ideal present, doesn't it?

I have plenty to keep me busy. I have three layouts to do for The Scrapbook Magazine and my December album to update and photograph and I am woefully behind on my BPC class by Nic H. I'd love to do the main layouts before class end at least.

You might have noticed that I have given my blog a bit of a facelift. Thought it was about time having had the same layout and blog banner for the last two years and my intention is to change it up each month with a few photos to represent the month to come - thanks to Danielle for the tutorial about creating such a blog banner that gave me the push to stop thinking about it and finally do it.

And I'm thinking about being a bit more consistent with my posting. Something like a theme for each day of the week (even if I don't post every day) so that I would have some structure to follow when I do want to post. Maybe something like Monday Musings, Tuesday Tips, Layout Wednesday and so on. But I'm not sure - what do you think? Or is this too restrictive? I'm not really sure. Maybe I need to think about it a bit more! Am I perhaps just thinking about this too much?!? Sounds like me though, doesn't it? It's all about the control.

Later...

So, after spending a total of 3.5 hours travelling, 1.5 hours window shopping and more than 3 hours in Starbucks (nursing one single coffee!) for only 4 lessons, I am back home and have managed to catch up a little. I have completed today's December page and photographed them all.

Several things to note that tell me that I should have planned this out a bit more than I did before I launched in:

  1. It's enormously thick already and it's only day 6! I can only imagine how huge it will be by the 25th. Mmmm... 
  2. The 6x4 format is limiting my journalling and photos so if I have more to say/show, I need to add more pages. And here comes point one into play. Mmmm....
  3. I have put the day number on the left which means that when the pages are together like a book, all I can see is the back of the labels. If I had put them on the right, the edges would have been visible from the front of the mini-book. Mmmm....
  4. I haven't really decided if I am just winging it and recording the everyday or if I am following Shimelle's prompts. Hope it doesn't turn into a mish mash. Mmmm....
  5. I have not decided on a title for the book/album nor have I thought about a cover. At the moment, this part of it looks über-ugly. I really need to decide what is I am making here. Mmmm....
On the positive side, I am chopping up papers and throwing down bits and pieces of Christmas goodness with abandon. It feels good to see these pretty things (and to be honest, some not so pretty things - must sort out and get rid) used up. I have a couple of blank or more blank pages that I will go back to at the end to embellish up. And I have a bag of embellishments to pretty up the whole album at the end (if the binder rings will stand the thickness that is!) The main products I am using here is the Shimelle Christmas kit 2009 which of course, I had to have, but never touched. I have it all in a drawer and am just opening and grabbing. And then all my other Christmas stuff is in another drawer so it has really turned into a bit of a lucky dip. Go me!

Here are the pages so far (apologies for the poor photos - it's late and even though I sorted out extra light and adjusted the white balance, they are pretty groggy) :

 











8 comments:

  1. Love your Christmasy blog theme - very pretty and festive. I've often wondered about doing specific daily posts - but I'd never stick to it. But, on the other hand, structure is good. If it makes you post more - then go for it. I'd like reading more here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spontaneous approach to selecting supplies for your journal seems to be working out marvelously! I, too, have thought about doing daily themed posts, but decided it's not for me. On the other hand, structure might make it easier to blog. I hope whatever you decide that it ends up in me getting to read more from you.

    PS The new blog theme elements are marvey too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the new look blog,very festive. Your Christmas album looks gorgeous and stunning photo's as usual.
    I don't think I could be structured but it's a great idea to have themed days if you can do it,even if it's just one day a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St Nicolas day - belated...

    Do you remember? The church I got married at is St Nicolas? And if you look at the main window, in the bottom right hand corner, he's there, in a red cloak.

    And I love your new blog look, and your journal, and your ideas for ringing in the changes on your blog

    love and hugs, and imaginary Cadbury's chocolate for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new blog look is really lovely! And I do love the look of your Christmas journal too - the photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your blog looks wonderful! I love the header photos. Beautiful job! Your December album is gorgeous! Love the products you are choosing. Inspiring as usual. Hope you had a wonderful St. Nicholaus Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog looks fantastic! I love your photo header! Glad that I could help :) I'm really liking your album and how you journaled all over the tags on that one page. As for the daily posts, I agree with "S" since structure can be good and will get you into some sort of routine. I'm still not completely structured, but I try to post at least once or twice a week (or more if I feel like splurging). Good luck with it all! And Happy (Late) St. Nicholaus Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lisa,
    Happy Day to you. You asked on my blog, (and by the way thank you for the sweetness you leave. You are amazing!), if I had signed up for LOAD in Feb. Yes I did. Wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm hoping to take Lain's BPC class The Mother Load in July. I'm guessing it will be around $100, so I'd better start saving now. I don't dress the girls for their photos. We just recently dug out their winter like clothes and found some lovely warm shirts in there. That's what they are wearing lately. Keep up the great work on your December album. It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...