Tuesday 22 May 2012

Counterfeit Kit Challenge #2 - scrapping with fabric

I think I might have mentioned this before, but for someone who used to be consumed by sewing it's strange that I don't have much fabric lying around! When I saw this challenge I had a moment of head scratching before deciding to just go for the overall design and worry about the fabric later.

I decided to see if I could get just one or two more layouts out of my March kit, Soothe and so that determined a more muted colour scheme. Looking through what was left in the kit, I realised that there was not a lot of larger paper pieces (except this grey stripe) but that my 6x6 Periphery paper block was still in there, so that took away another set of decisions.

Another little vellum envelope will keep my journalling safe and a little private when I sit down with some time to think about my words. I wanted to bring in a touch of colour and the last of the mini yellow flowers in my kit seemed perfect. But there was still the problem of the fabric. I thought about making up some flowers or even tearing up a piece of white cotton to back the photo but in the end, went with destroying a grey striped shirt that had been put out for the recycling. I just ruffled it up and added it as a frill under my twine and flower cluster. I like that it's quite subtle but adds some pretty dimension and texture and is in keeping with the rest of the colours in the layout, echoing that grey stripe a little. I adding some lines of stitching to tie in with the fabric which is easier to see irl and chose a contrasting photo to really attract the attention. A little layered butterfly and some pale yellow chevrons left over from a previous layout finished this easy layout off. (I think I should have positioned them a bit more obviously not in a line! It looks a bit like they are supposed to be in line but miss the mark! Oh well, once it's stuck, it's stuck.)




I think I'll be rummaging through that recycling bag, which is overflowing after a bout of wardrobe spring cleaning, to see what other fabric scraps I can work into my stash. There are so many ways of including fabric into the design of the layout that I'd like to think this will become a bit more standard for me. Maybe....

And just to tie up loose ends, this layout is from day 19 of LOAD where we had to repeat something from the day before. I repeated the use of the kit, the butterflies, the 6x6 paper blocks, the white flower, the twine, the colour scheme and the use of vellum! And this is layout #9 from that March kit which is kind of amazing when I think about the fact that it was quite a small kit and quite limited in colours. I've since created one last layout and will share the final couple of pages in the next day or two. A very successful kit!

10 comments:

  1. Everything looks great - your little vellum butterfly is so cute with the twine in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous !!!!!! I love how you ruffled the fabric and the lace flower is so pretty. Thank you for the comments on my crochet throw. I bought a cheap book to learn the different stitches, and you tube is good but I use U.K. Terms, you just need to be aware when you follow a pattern. U.k.
    My first project was the blanket on Dottie Angel blog very easy to follow instructions, also Attic 24. Hope this has helped. Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I enjoyed reading about your thought process as you designed this layout. Such a simple, but very pretty accent using the shirt fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely page... I have heaps of fabric and haberdashery. It is great to use on paper sometimes and I love getting my sewing machine out instead of using glue sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful page. Love the butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty page - love the fabric in all its forms. I have found it is easier to use my counterfeit kit well by scrapping a bunch of days in a row too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful page! I never would have thought to recycle an old shirt in this way, now you have me thinking about all those baby clothes I've been holding onto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorites of yours so far during LOAD. And I love that you're rummaging through that recycling bag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this photo of you and the layout it Great! Love the chevrons :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this page! Everything is just gorgeous.....the twine, the flower, the chevrons, the ruffled fabric....gorgeous :0)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time. <3 <3 <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...